The story features the Gothy Penelope Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshaw) who is more or less forced to start a chess club and attracts an unusual cast of people one of which is her former friend Amber who has a deep-rooted fear of butterflies. Yes, you may laugh. There’s also Lee who collects dragon figurines and is probably the sanest of them all. Minnie who is obsessed with detective stories and puts the i in weird. And Chris who has the IQ of a racquet ball, but you know, in a good way.
When their chess pieces go missing, as well as other stuff at school, they get out their magnifying glasses. Things get interesting, though, when robberies occur in town. Do they have something to do with what’s happening at school?
I love chess and mysteries and wanted a feisty female lead but since I’m funny and mostly weird, I wanted that to show as well. Friendship is also a theme because what is a story without character growth and heart-warming moments. Mostly I wrote this because it’s something I’d read so if you’re anything like me then keep one eye on this page for I am currently seeking an agent to represent me and my colourful imagination so that this story too can adorn bookshelves. And I can’t wait to lick its cover.
This story also has interactive parts because there are clues that lead to her blog. There is already a link to her blog on the Home page, so feel free to stroll over and sneak a peek at the loveable Penelope and her sleuthy shenanigans.
– I detest black hair. No, I have red hair. Dark red. The kind that makes people wonder if it’s real or from a bottle. That’s a secret I’ll never tell, xoxo. Okay, I should stop watching so much TV.
– I like touching fragile objects because I like living dangerously.
– Where would we be without alcohol? Apart from civilised.
– I hate modern. Do I sound like a snob yet? Good, I knew we’d get there.
– Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with children, as long as they keep a respectful distance from me where I don’t have to see, smell or hear them.
(The Chess Club excerpts: https://www.wattpad.com/story/35668651)